sábado, 15 de octubre de 2016

World of Walls #16

    The motive for writing this entry is to continue discussing the topic of walls. Recently, I have read an article from the website "Mail Online" about walls all over the world which has informed me about the existing walls in the different countries. In addition to that, I have learnt facts that absolutely shocked me. To begin with, I have to admit that I did not know that there such a great number of walls over the world, certainly I knew about the wall which divides the American and Mexican border but I hadn't even imagined that there were at least 10 more. The purpose of building such walls is virtually the same: not to permit a certain society enter to the country. The source of the deterrent could be varied, for religious discrepancies, to decrease the crime rate and increase security, to protect themselves from the risk of terrorism or even to prevent refugees seeking shelter to settle in the country. In my opinion, I do not think these barriers are useful, on the contrary, they are the cause of great amount of violence and chaos, as well as being an explicit example of discrimination, prejudice and intolerance.
     One of the things that shocked me the most was watching a video which showed how migrants fight and crush into police lines at Macedonia border tolerating terrible conditions such as the heat and crowding. Another shocking video showed how drug smugglers cross the Mexican border in broad daylight which is the reason why I believe these walls are not an innovative strategy. Nowadays, people have the resources to trespass such frontiers. Honestly, I do not know if these walls will be pulled down some day because they are part of great political movements that are supported by a large number of people. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario